"All disease begins in the gut" Hippocrates
I would agree with the Great Greek Physician. From observation alone, I see in my clients that their digestive system becomes imbalanced and they only tend to seek help when they experience more extreme symptoms - lethargy/joint pain/migraines/allergies etc.
The fact that they are seeking help for their health would suggest that they have a digestive imbalance already - if Hippocrates is correct.
Many of my clients don't even know that they're constipated - when I ask how their bowels are, the answer I get 9/10 times is “fine” or “normal”. However, their normal can be opening their bowels up once every 3 days, and that’s VERY constipated - the ideal is 3 times per day.
Why should we be opening our bowels so often? Every bodily process -even breathing- - produces a waste product which needs to be eliminated from our bodies. Our lungs, skin and bowels are the route for this waste product to be excreted - to keep our bodies healthy.
Constipation can lead to bloating, fatigue, muscle aches, headaches and skin outbreaks.
Laxatives exacerbate the the situation as they are very dehydrating- which is a cause of constipation in the long run.
How do we encourage regularity naturally?
- Exercise - Encourages peristalsis (the pumping action of the intestines), even a short 20 join burst of cardio exercise daily can really go a long way to belong your body eliminate daily.(Rebounding is GREAT! - Contact me to discuss buying a recommended rebounder.)
- Avoid diuretics - fizzy drinks, caffeine etc. They cause dehydration and constipation.
- Belly breathing! Breathing all the way down to your abdomen massages your internal organs and digestive system, stimulating the intestines and encouraging bowel movements!
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit & vegetables. The fibre is essential for intestinal mobility.
- Find out if you have a food sensitivity causing your digestive system to be out of balance. Undetected food sensitivities can cause internal inflammation, bloating and constipation/diarrhea. (Chat with me to organise a food sensitivity test)
- Stay hydrated - dehydration can cause constipation. Drink warm water (boil it and allow to cool) in the morning to stimulate the digestive tract.
- Soothe the intestinal tract naturally with aloe vera or slippery elm - two very useful foods for intestinal membrane health.
- Encourage health of the digestive tract by taking a good quality probiotic. I use Epigenetics - talk to me here to find out which is theright strain for you.
- Drink 20 mins either side of eating to optimise digestion.
- Forgive & let go! The Traditional Chinese Medicine view of large intestine imbalance is lack of ability to let go emotionally (this mirrors the physical inability to ‘let go’ eg constipation). In my practice, I have found that this holistic approach to health - of observing how emotional states mirror the physical state - is extremely accurate.